Quick Links

E-Health: Health and Fitness Articles

Time and Motion - 4th June 2008

  • Insisting on lunch breaks is one way employers can help ensure a healthy workplace, says a visiting expert concerned about the pressure on WA workers due to the skills shortage

Exercise fights ageing process: study - 29th Jan 2008

  • People who exercise regularly appear to be biologically younger than those who lead sedentary lifestyles, scientists have found.

Oil, fish diet beneficial in pregnancy - 16th Jan 2008

  • Pregnant women who eat a Mediterranean diet may be protecting their baby from eczema and allergies in childhood, new research suggests.  A study by Greek doctors found that children of mothers who closely follow the oil and fish-rich diet while pregnant have a 45 per cent lower risk of developing an allergic disease before the age of seven.  Eating fish more than three times a week, vegetables more than eight times a week, and beans more than once a week seemed to be especially protective….

Lack of sleep may raise diabetes risk - 1st Jan 2008

  • Deep, restful sleep may be important for keeping type 2 diabetes at bay, US researchers say. They said slim, healthy young adults who were deprived of the deepest stage of sleep known as slow-wave sleep developed insulin resistance - a trait linked to type 2 diabetes - after just three nights…

Diet affects older men’s weight training – 14th Jan 2008

  • Getting enough protein and moderate amounts of fat from food may help older men's muscles respond better to weight training, a study suggests. Researchers found that among 45 middle-aged and older men who went through a strength training program, those with more protein in their diets tended to have a greater short term increase in testosterone levels right after their workouts. This hormonal response, in turn, was related to greater gains in muscle mass over 21 weeks of weight training.

Studies show yoga has multiple benefits – 30th Dec 2007

  • Yoga induces a feeling of well-being in healthy people, and can reverse the clinical and biochemical changes associated with metabolic syndrome, according to results of studies from Sweden and India. Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of heart disease risk factors such as high blood pressure, obesity and high blood sugar.

Physical activity shows evidence of beneficial effects on immune system – Jan 19th 2008

  • Infections are the leading cause of death for people aged 65 and older. As the human body ages, the immune system becomes less efficient. The benefits of regular physical activity or exercise for both the prevention and management of chronic disease and ill-health are well established. Much of the evidence to date has observed changes in the body's various systems - primarily metabolic, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal. It is only in recent years that attention has been focusing on the immune system. The impact of exercise on the immune function has important public health consequences and highlights the beneficial effects of exercise on disease prevention and management.

The Cost of Work-related Injury and Illness for Australian Employers, Workers and the Community - National Occupational Health and Safety Commission EXECUTIVE SUMMARY - 2003

  • Industry Commission study estimated that only 25% of the total cost of work-related injury and disease was due to the direct costs of work-related incidents. The remaining 75% was accounted for by indirect costs such as lost productivity, loss of income and quality of life

National Health Survey 2004-5 show mixed results -  Australian Bureau of Statistics - Media Release

  • More Australian adults were overweight or obese and more drank alcohol at risky or high risk levels in 2004-5 than in 2001, according to results from the 2004-05 Australian Bureau of Statistics National Health Survey.
  • When body mass index was calculated from reported height and weight, 62% of men and 45% of women were classified in the overweight or obese groups.
  • The proportion of adults who had consumed alcohol at levels which, if continued, would be risky or a high risk to their health was 13% in 2005, compared with 11% in 2001
  • In 2004-05, 77% of the population reported that they had at least one long-term medical condition, similar to the result in 2001

DOCEP Work-Life Balance Survey 2004

  • What percentages of the Australian workforce work excess hours every week affecting work life balance

Medibank Private Survey 2005

  • The health of Australia’s workforce.  Healthy employees are nearly three times more productive than unhealthy employees.
  • Unhealthy employees take up to nearly nine times more sick leave than their healthy colleagues.  Poor employee health and absenteeism is costing Australian $7 billion annually

 

Website copyright Trench Health 2008-2010 • Website design by Swish Design Perth